Sunday, January 22, 2006

About Me


I grew up in rural East Tennessee and began kayaking and canoeing at a summer camp that my parents ran in our home county. However, I didn’t have the opportunity to pursue kayaking until I was in college. My dad won a Dagger kayak through a school raffle. My parents called me to inform me of dad’s new toy. I was so excited that my family had a kayak I drove the two and half hour drive to see the new boat. After the drive I got out of my car and gave the new kayak a look. “Oh no,” I said. The boat was a recreational boat. A recreational boat is designed for touring around a lake or pond. I had my heart set on a whitewater kayak. My parents noticed my disappointment and agreed to give me the kayak for my birthday to sell and purchase a whitewater kayak. This is exactly what I did, and I haven’t looked back since.

I fell in love with kayaking like nothing ever before. After several years of paddling on weekends I decided I wanted to improve my kayaking, so I applied for a job with the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I planned to take the summer after college graduation off to enjoy life and work on the river. This decision changed my life because that summer of fun quickly turned into two summers, three years, etc. Now six years later I have been able to make a living kayaking. Now days I am teaching school and coaching for, The Academy of Huge Experiences Kayak School. If you are not familiar with the school check out the website, kayakschool.org.

I believe in living a healthy and active lifestyle. I enjoy doing most anything that is outdoors including kayaking, skiing, cycling, climbing, etc. Also, I take pleasure in learning, teaching, and embracing new cultures. I have been fortunate to travel all over the world. Traveling has changed my perspective on so many things. To me traveling to new places and visiting new cultures is an educational experience that will not be duplicated. The idea behind this blog is to share my passion for kayaking and cultures other than one’s own. Hope you enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home